Bishop Daniel Patrick Reilly Gym

















There is a kind of virtue that lies not in extraordinary actions, not in saving poor orphans from burning buildings, but in steadfastly working for a world where orphans are not poor and buildings comply with decent fire codes.
Randy Cohen, American writer and humorist

The hearts of small children are delicate organs. A cruel beginning in this world can twist them into curious shapes. The heart of a hurt child can shrink so that forever afterward it is hard and pitted as the seed of a peach. Or, again, the heart of such a child may fester and swell until it is misery to carry within the body, easily chafed and hurt by the most ordinary things.-- Carson Smith McCullers


1 comment:

  1. I remember as a thirteen year old alter boy meeting Bishop Reilly in Voluntown, CT during a Confirmation ceremony. I asked my mom if it would be okay to ask him for his autograph. I was so excited. After the service, I was invited back to the rectory under the then priest Father "Flynn".... When I finally got the chance to meet the bishop, I asked him for his autograph which he graciously gave to me. He then proceeded to tell me that I was able to kiss his ring if I wanted to. To this day, it is the dirtiest feeling I have about the church. Not only did the bishop put his hand down below his knee, but when I bent down to kiss it, he pushed it to his foot, forcing me to submit to him completely. I remember that ring to this day as one of the ugliest things I have ever seen... a gold monstrosity and a symbol of control by the catholic church. I threw away his autograph days later.

    ReplyDelete